[Hpr] Any Gaelic speakers on the list?

Ken Fallon ken at fallon.ie
Wed Aug 9 20:10:33 UTC 2023

Hi Mike,

 > The word 'Scottish' is redundant in that sentence and is only there
because some people think Irish can also be called Gaelic.

I'm interested to know why you would say that Irish is not Gaelic ? Are
you perhaps thinking that Irish people speaking the English Language is
the "Irish" Language ?

  * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language
  * https://www.rte.ie/gaeilge/
  * https://www.rte.ie/radio/rnag/

To answer your question I was fluent in "/Caighdeán /Irish" having gone
to 1st level in a Gaelscoileanna, Irish Language Only School. There we
learned everything including English using the Irish language.

That said, it's been decades since I have used it, although  I can still
follow Munster Irish, but Galway and Donnegal Irish is tough. I've been
able to get the jist of some BBC Alba programs.

--
Regards,

Ken Fallon (PA7KEN,G5KEN)
https://kenfallon.com